gfx* HomeForumHelpCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hell Week - Carr Fire  (Read 642 times)
Zara
Ancient
1000+ posts

« on: July 31, 2018, 06:36:42 pm »

As Deg said in the shout box, we're home.  It's covered in soot, ashes, cinders, charred pine needles. etc.  We are extremely fortunate that none of them sparked a fire!  

I can't express how thankful I am that we have a home to return to.  All of my family is safe, as are their homes.  However, many family friends have lost their homes, including our Redding Chief of Police, Roger Moore.  His daughter is best friends with my niece.  They lost everything.  He was overtaken by flames in his vehicle trying to warn residents ahead of the "fire tornado".  He somehow escaped.  Unfortunately, a firefighter doing the same thing in the same neighborhood was killed.  Our house/neighborhood was in the direct path of travel, and if it weren't for the winds changing and the firefighters, we would be sifting through ashes.  

At the rate the tally is going, I won't be surprised if it surpasses 1,000 homes destroyed (not damaged, destroyed).  As I am typing this, the fire is only 27% contained, 110,154 acres, 884 homes destroyed, 348 other structures destroyed .... 6 dead and 19 missing.  

It is beyond heartbreaking to see my hometown and so many places I've hiked, fished, swam, deer hunted, sat around a bonfire and had a cold one.... reduced to total ashes.

This map shows the absolute utter destruction of entire neighborhoods and little outlying towns, as well as the active fire line (click on the satellite image in the upper right corner for an idea of the landscape).  The entire little town of Keswick, gone.  Historic gold rush town, Old Shasta, gone.
http://calfire-forestry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=5bbcbed430ad45e5a38e6be155ef5fec

And this is what people were running for their lives from, literally:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blw33TPDGjy/?taken-by=3v3ry0th3rnam3wa5tak3n

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlyU1ZhhoSY/?taken-by=3v3ry0th3rnam3wa5tak3n

The guy that shot those videos is a helicopter pilot that drops water on fires.  (He has a lot more if  you just click his name) We had three fly over at about 500 feet just before we got the evac notice and let me tell you, that was a "Holy shit! Are we gonna make it out of here ...." moment!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:15:59 pm by Zara » Logged

The Last:  Where Friendship, Honor and Respect Come Before Games

For the strength of the wolf is the pack and the strength of the pack is the wolf.  - Rudyard Kipling

ESO  - Zara, Zalah, Zared ... all the usual Z names

SWTOR - Ebonhawk - VIP:  Zarah, Zhared, Zalah, Zaedyn, Rhae'vyn  (Active)

GW2 - Stormbluff  Isles- Zara Tate; Ranger - (Retired)

LoTRO - Landroval - Zara, Zared, Zalah, Rhaevyn (Lifetime Sub)
Cruadorn
Dwarf Warrior? Viking? Trollborn? Evil Ogre? Whatever! I'm the guy with the big Axe!
Old Codger
100+ posts

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:14:10 pm »

Well, dealing the the situation is bad enough but sometimes dealing with the aftermath is even tougher. The good thing is that you and your kin are around to help each other get through it. God bless you guys and if I can help you with anything, let me know.

"Love not the arrow for it's swiftness, or the sword for it's bright blade, but the things that these guard."

ESO - Cruadorn, Kadrin, & Haakeon
GW2 - Bjornhedin Magnison, Cruadorn Skjalborg, and Hring Ullerson
WoW - (Maelstrom) Cruadorn, Grombrindal, Khadrin, Hring, and Ulfhedin
LotRO - Cruadorn Skjalborg, Bjornhedin Magnisson, and Krubjorn Ullrsson
SWTOR - Rep: Cruadorn, Keoghan, Hring, & Eddval
               Imp: Haakon, Kadrin, Doshain, & Ulfheddin
ArchAge - Cruadorn
Zara
Ancient
1000+ posts

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 04:37:26 pm »

Thanks, Cru! 

I'm still kind of in shock and disbelief over how bad the fire was, how fast it moved and the complete devastation to a place I love so much.  Going through this last week really put things in a whole new prospective.  So much shit just doesn't matter and I'm so thankful that Deg, my animals and my family are all safe and so are our homes!

For the strength of the wolf is the pack and the strength of the pack is the wolf.  - Rudyard Kipling

KiFi
Elder
1000+ posts

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 08:46:07 pm »

I am so relieved you, Deg and your family are OK.  I shall say some prayers for all of you.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.
Zara
Ancient
1000+ posts

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:43:09 pm »

Fire Update:

All danger from the Carr Fire is currently over for us.  It is contained and burning away from us. 

Aside from the two or three close calls with fires near us that were immediately under control and extinguished, we are currently out of danger from the Carr Fire (above), Hirz Fire and Delta Fire.  The last two are burning about 20 - 25 miles north/northwest/northeast of us.  (Sounds reasonably safe, but the Carr Fire started about that far from us!)   Delta Fire is pretty much out of control and has had Interstate 5 closed since Wednesday, which is the major north/south route.  Hirz Fire has merged with the Carr Fire.  Smoke has been horrendous.  We have not been able to open the windows or be outside without a mask.  A/C has been running 24/7, even when it's 63 degrees outside at night, due to the air quality.  Today it looks like a heavy fog again with air quality in the 500 range (0 to 50 is considered safe). 

Aside from some PTSD when the fire helicopters and planes flying over constantly, hearing sirens or the emergency alert on our cells phones go off for evacuations for residents north of us... we're doing well!   Wink

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
TinyPortal v1.0 beta 3 © Bloc
gfx gfx